Friday, February 5, 2010

Bread Crumbs, a Discussion

As far as Vermont, and I am assuming the rest of the world ( I have only lived as far South as Connecticut, but lived in Boston), in the Bread Crumb world we have plain, Italian Seasoned, and Panko.

What to buy? Which will work best in this dish?

In a lot of stores in Vermont, Panko can be overpriced, but worth the price based on what you prefer. I find that Panko is great if you are frying. It's a Japanese crust-less breadcrumb. We aren't huge fryers, but we bake a lot, and Panko gives you a crisp bite that you might find in many restaurants, especially on fish or seafood. Many people season Panko, and I have included my own seasonings in the "plain section"

Italian Bread Crumbs are great, when you want to coat your food in a hurry. You don't need to mess with the seasoning, but then again, you cannot control what is in there. So often we buy something for the ease, but we can make it ourselves, without additives, and can control our portions.

Plain bread crumbs are great, when you can't make your own (making your own is very easy out of left over bread and a food processor, it may seem time consuming, but most of us throw away the end crusts of our bread, and that can make perfect croutons and bread crumbs).

Regardless, it's easier for most people to buy regular bread crumbs as it's cheapest. If this is the case, and you want to bake with them, I find throwing in some sea salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion salt and dried parsley top notch in flavor. Even some Parmesan (grated or fresh) can add a salty cheese kick to finish off your meal. Some people will "smash" crackers into this, for the last bit of bite, and personally "Townhouse" has a buttery crunch that people like (people being my family lol)

I use bread crumbs when I bake goods, in the occasional frying, and even in recipes (such as meatloaf, which I will be sharing soon) my veggie burgers and spinach quiche. They can make a great crust, and great to thicken something that you won't use flour or cornstarch for.

I don't claim this is complete, and I hope if anyone has other ideas or seasonings they will share it.
I just hope this helps everyone when chosing which kind of bread crumb they want and with what dish to use it.
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment